Like WordPress and some other open source php script using mysql database, Joomla password is encrypted in the database. This makes it difficult to decode a user password even from the database.
Joomla also does not support “forgot password” for a super administrator account. So an easy way out of resetting your password is directly on the database through phpmyadmin. Below are the simple steps.
- Open your Joomla Database in phpMyAdmin
- Click on the *_users table. The full table name has a prefix and will look similar to jos_users.
- Find your admin user and click on Edit.
- Copy d2064d358136996bd22421584a7cb33e:trd7TvKHx6dMeoMmBVxYmg0vuXEA4199 into the password field and click on Go.
- You will see a feedback message to confirm that it has been successfully saved and your password will have been changed to secret.
- Login to the back end of your Joomla site with your admin account and the password secret and change your password to something more secure.